Back

Alley of Classics

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Alley of Classics

Alley of Classics

The idea of a sculptural complex was launched by the interwar sculptor Alexandru Plămădeală, who dreamed of creating an open-air museum. Just during the Khrushchev Thaw, the Alley of Classics was unveiled on April 29, 1958, in the Stephen the Great Park (former “A. S. Pușkin” Park). The sculptural complex from Cișmigiu Gardens in Bucharest served as a model. The Alley is decorated on both sides with red granite busts of classic literary figures and political leaders from Moldova. The Alley is located between the Ștefan cel Mare boulevard and the bronze bust of Alexander Pushkin, set on a granite column and made by Russian sculptor Alexander Opekushin. The Alley of Classics contains 28 busts (including that of Alexander Pushkin, lying at the head of the Alley) in alphabetical order. Nicolae Iorga, the Romanian historian, considers Mihai Eminescu the godfather of the modern Romanian language, in the same way that Shakespeare is seen to have directly influenced the English language. He is unanimously celebrated as the greatest and most representative Romanian poet. Call to action: Visit Pushkin House Museum The great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin was exiled to Bessarabia (nowadays Moldova) for three years by the tsarist administration. He arrived in Chisinau on September 21, 1820, and stayed at the house of General Inzov, which today hosts Pushkin’s museum and is one of only two remaining Pushkin houses in the world; the other being at Moika, St. Petersburg, Russia.
View on map