Back

Churches and monasteries

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Cathedral of Christ’s Nativity, Bell Tower,Triumphal Arch

The cathedral was built between 1830-1836. The idea of building such an important object of worship belonged to Metropolitan Gavriil Bănulescu-Bodoni. But the foundation stone was laid only 9 years after his death. The architect Avraam Melnikov, chosen by competition, used the late neoclassical style (empiric style) for the building,...

Church of the Mother of God (Măzărache Church,1752)

The oldest building (including ecclesiastical) that has survived to date on the territory of present-day Chisinau, and the only one that preserves medieval Moldovan architecture. The Măzărache Church is documented in 1752 (year of consecration). It is popularly named after its founder – the nobleman, merchant of Chisinau Vasile Măzărache....

Teodor Sabau’s House

The archaeological site known as the “Ruins of the Church Museum – Episcopal House – Teodor Sabau’s House” will be included in the Register of Historical Monuments of Local Significance in the municipality of Chisinau. In addition to the classification of the site as a historical monument, the proposed decision...

The Village Museum

Located at the entrance of Chisinau, near the City Gates, the Village Museum can be considered an oasis of revelation and tranquility. It is the perfect place for meditation, where visitors are enchanted by the enchanting landscape that exudes a fairy-tale atmosphere. Established in 1991 as a branch of the...

Church of Saints Constantine and Helen (1777)

In the past, it was the church of the cemetery of the village of Visterniceni, later annexed to the city and became the Riscani district of the capital. The church bears its present name since 1834, after the request of the nobleman Iorgu Râșcanu to change the name of the...

The Armenian Apostolical Church, The Holy Mother of God (1803–1804)

After the annexation of Bessarabia to the Russian Empire in 1812, the Armenian Archbishop (1809-1828) of Moldo-Vlachia, Grigor Zakarian, had to move to Chișinău, his title being limited to that of Archbishop of the Armenians of Bessarabia, although the Armenians across the Prut continued to subordinate themselves to him. The...

Cathedral “The Transfiguration of the Saviour” (1898-1902)

It is a place of worship and an architectural monument of national significance, entered in the Register of monuments of history and culture of the municipality of Chisinau. It is the former chapel “St. Emperors Constantine and Helen” of the gymnasium no. 2 for boys (in the interwar period –...

Monastery ,,Saint Great Martyr Teodor Tiron” (Ciuflea) (1854-1858)

It is the only convent of nuns on the territory of Chisinau.  Its cathedral is a white stone temple, with nine gilded domes, and was built at the request of brothers Teodor (1796-1854) and Anastasie (1801-1870) Ciufli, after the project of architect Luca Zaușchevici. It is popularly known as “Ciuflea...

Church Annunciation (1810)

Architectural monument of national significance, entered in the Register of Monuments of History and Culture of the municipality of Chisinau at the initiative of the Academy of Sciences. The church was built in 1810 on the site of an older one, burnt down by the Ottomans in the late 18th...

Church of St. Great Martyr Panteleimon (1891)

Founded by two brothers of Greek origin – Ivan and Victor Sinadino, honorary citizens of Chisinau, sons of the former mayor Pantelion Sinadino, who led the town hall twice – in 1837-1839 and 1840-1842. The construction of the church lasted for for 5 years, according to the neo-Byzantine project of...

Saint Theodora of Sihla Church (1895)

The chapel of the Bessarabian Zemstva’s high school for girls was built in 1895, with Teodor Krupensky and his daughter Euphrosinia, who was married to Prince Viazemski of Russia, as its founders. The architect of the Byzantine-style project was Alexander Bernardazzi. The consecration of the chapel did not take place...

The Roman-Catholic Cathedral of Divine Providence (1840)

The Roman Catholic community in Chisinau, composed almost exclusively of Polish people, was formed in the late 1830s. Ten years later, with their own financial contributions, the community builts a holy place, in 1840. The church project was approved in St Petersburg. The architect and sculptor Joseph I. Charlemand played...

Saint George the Great Church (1819)

From historical sources we learn that the construction of the Church “Saint George” began in 1814, in the historic center of Chisinau, with the blessing of Metropolitan Gavriil Bănulescu-Bodoni. The works started under the guidance of the priest Gheorghe, helped by his Bulgarian compatriots. One of the architects of the...

Saint Hierarch Nicholas Church (1901)

The holy place was given the name “Saint Hierarch Nicholas” in memory of the first founder – the felcher Nicholas Ivanov. The construction of the church began in 1901, according to the project of the city architect Vladimir Tiganko. After the death of the main founder, Catherine’s wife sells the...

Ruins of the Church Museum/Old Cathedral

The Church Museum was legally founded on April 4, 1904, with the establishment of the Church Historical-Archaeological Society in Chisinau, initiated by the distinguished Basarabian scholar Ioan Halippa. According to the by-laws, the Society’s objective was the comprehensive study of the local Church’s history, starting from the dawn of Christianity...

Church All Saints Sunday (1819- 1930)

It is believed that this very church in the town has been built the longest – just over 100 years! It is also the church that is most often visited by parishioners – it is located at the entrance to the Central (also called Armenian) Cemetery. The present appearance of...

Holy Trinity Church (1852-1862, or 1869)

The “Holy Trinity” Church was founded and consecrated by Archbishop Antonie Shocotov, on the territory of the former cemetery of the village of Muncesti (nowadays Botanica sector). It is a church built according to one of the model projects, which were widespread in Bessarabia at that time and used in...

Jewish cemeteries

One of the old Jewish cemeteries preserved in what is now the city is the one in the Buiucani sector, next to the fire station on Milano Street. It is estimated that between 40,000 and 50,000 Jews are buried here. The current land is 12 hectares, originally around 15-16 hectares....

All Saints Glorified on the Land of Moldova – Bulgarian Chapel (1882)

On this site, where the Obelisk and Chapel now stand, in 1887, Emperor Alexander II read out the manifesto of Russia’s declaration of war against the Ottoman Porte in front of Russian troops and Moldovan and Bulgarian volunteers. On this day the last Russo-Turkish war began, ending with the victory...

Tomb of the Oganowici family

In the Valley of Roses, we find the ruined Catholic cemetery chapel: Polish and Armenian, built in 1912. In the west wing, we encounter a memorial building – the tomb of the Polish Oganowici family. Of modest proportions, the chapel is designed in an eclectic style, inspired by the Gothic...

Armenian streets

The Armenian community has left a serious mark on the history and geography of Chisinau. In fact, the Armenian community feels honored that there is a street here that marks their identity and claims that the Armenian Apostolic Church “Holy Mother of God” in Chisinau, together with the Armenian street,...

Jerusalem Street

In 1998, Pushkin Boulevard was renamed Jerusalem Street on the 3000th anniversary of the first recorded Jerusalem. Previously, before b-l was named A.S. Pushkin, this street had no name. Between Grigore Vieru Boulevard and Pushkin Street, a monument to the victims of the Jewish ghetto in Chisinau was erected on...

Chabad Lubavitch Central Synagogue (Synagogue of the glassmakers)

This Synagogue was built in 1896-1898 by the architect Tsalel Gershevich Ginger. For a long time there was an unspoken rule in Chisinau: for every 500 Jews in the city there must be one synagogue. In 1964 the city authorities ordered the closure of all synagogues except the Glaziers’ Synagogue,...

Central Synagogue of Chisinau

CENTRAL SYNAGOGUE OF CHISINAU its founded in 1886. “Sennaya” synagogue, located in the historical part of Chisinau, is one of the oldest functioning synagogues in the capital and the Republic of Moldova as a whole. Its role in the formation of the Jewish community in the region is exceptional. In...

The Church of Saint Haralambie (1836)

The Church of Saint Haralambie is a place of worship and an architectural monument of national significance, entered in the Register of monuments of history and culture of the municipality of Chisinau. It was built in 1836. A lapidary inscription inside it with the year 1812 testifies to a possible...

Saint Mucenic Valeriu

It is a contemporary church. Through the mercy of the Good Lord and with the blessing of His Eminence Vladimir, Metropolitan of Chisinau and the whole of Moldova, as a servant of the Holy Church and the desire of many people of good faith, but also through the efforts of...