Church of Saints…

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Church of Saints Constantine and Helen (1777)

In the past, it was the church of the cemetery of the village of Visterniceni, later annexed to the city and became the Riscani district of the capital.
The church bears its present name since 1834, after the request of the nobleman Iorgu Râșcanu to change the name of the church from Resurrection of the Lord to the present name of Saints Emperors Constantine and his mother Elena, a change made in memory of the founder and his father – Constantin Râșcanu, a merchant and nobleman from the city of  Iași.
Constantin Râscanu’s mother (supposedly named Elena) was a half-sister of Vasile Măzărache, the founder of the church of the same name.
The church owns an important library of church books, written in Greek, Romanian and Slavonic, the most important being: Greek Anthologhin (1686), Greek Penticostaion (1687), Bible (1755), Greek Triod (1777) printed in Venice; Romanian Triodian (1731), Romanian Apostle (1794), Gospel (1794) printed in Râmnic, Romania. There are also books printed in Chisinau: Liturgy (1815), Molebnic (1817), Psalter ( 1857), Anthologhion (1861), Octioh, Triodion (1862), Trebnic (Molitvenic, 1908).
In the altar of the church there is also an The  aër covering, measuring 88/7.8 cm. The canvas is sewn with silk thread in several colours and with gold and silver threads. There’s an inscription on this canvas in Greek, which translates “Praise God your servants Constantine, Catherine and Evpraxia the nun, 1765”, meaning that this the aër covering was given to the church by its founder, and the date proves, that the church was functioning even before the year of 1777.
In the cemetery next to the church we can still find tombstones, on which we can still decipher the names of great families of Moldovan nobles and dignitaries: Rascanu, Donici, Krupenscki, Russo…

View on map