Back

Belfry

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Belfry

Belfry

Standing right behind the Holy Gates is a beautiful belfry, an important religious and historic site in Chisinau city. It represents the replica of the original belfry built-in 1830 (the same year as the Metropolitan Cathedral was built) but was demolished in the 1960s and restored in 1998. The belfry comprises four levels with a small chapel on the ground level and several bells at the top. According to the estimate of expenses provided in the project, the auction days were set. In Chisinau, however, no people were found to assume the obligation to build the Cathedral and the Bell Tower. Therefore, such auctions were held in Odessa on October 21, 24, and 28, 1827. Finally, the offer of the merchant Diteriks of 192,000 rubles was accepted. In 1833, Archbishop Dimitrie asked the Governor-General of Novorossiysk and Bessarabia, Prince Vorontsov, to go to the imperial courts, asking permission to pour copper bells (1,500 puds *) from old Turkish weapons. Out of the 1000 copper puddles, as the cannons weighed, five bells were to be cast: the first - considering 400 puds (6.4 tons), the second - 200 puds (3.2 tons), the third - 100 puddles (1.6 tons), the fourth - of 50 puds (800 kg) and the fifth - of 25 puds (400 kg). The bells were cast by craftsman Vasily Lysenko, a bell ringer in Kiev The ringing of bells is often used to symbolize peace and freedom. In many religions, a pealing bell is said to herald the arrival of supernatural power or spirit, be it the voice of angels or revelations’ sound.
View on map