Back

Government House

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Government House

Government House

Government House, where the cabinet meets, is the building opposite the Triumph Arch. It’s notable mainly for its heft and Soviet-style architecture. The Government House is a government building in Chisinau located on Great National Assembly Square At the beginning of the 20th century, many working demonstrations were held here. After 1924, when the street already bore the name of King Carol II Boulevard, a series of protests and strikes took place on its central square. August 1, 1929, when a one-day political rally was announced. In 1944, the street became a square, with the new authorities naming it Victory Square. In its present form, the central square has existed since December 1951. In 1987-1988, it was enlarged by the Soviets after they removed the ruins of the old Eparchial House. The state flag of the Republic of Moldova is a vertical tricolour of blue, yellow, and red, charged with the coat of arms of Moldova (an eagle holding a shield charged with an aurochs) on the centre bar. The obverse is mirrored. The blue, red, and yellow tricolour of Moldova are identical to Romania’s flag, reflecting its national and cultural affinity.
View on map