Back

National Theater of…

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
National Theater of Opera and Ballet

National Theater of Opera and Ballet

The history of the National Theater of Opera and Ballet of the Republic of Moldova started in 1955 when a new troupe was formed at the Moldavian Music and Drama Theater. In 1956, the group staged their first production of “Grozovan” by Gershfeld, and a year later premiered “The Fountain of Bakhchisarai” ballet. The new Theater’s first foreign tour took place in 1957 when the opera company traveled to Romania. In 1971, the ballet troupe had their first international appearance in Bulgaria. In 1980, the Opera and Ballet Theater moved into a new, purpose-built facility on Stefan cel Mare Boulevard, where A.Gorshkov and N. Kurennoy designed the building. The facade and the interior were decorated with sculptures by B.Novikov, B.Dubrovin, G.Dubrovin, and N.Sazhin. In May 2012, the Government of Moldova took a decision to name the National Theater of Opera and Ballet after Maria Biesu, Moldova’s famous opera singer. Until her death in 2012, they had been the patron of the “Maria Biesu Invites,” an International Festival of Opera and Ballet, held annually at the Theater since 1990. This major art project has been an essential event for both the Theater and the cultural life of the entire country. Presently, the Theater employs a group of talented, seasoned and young actors, some of whom are graduates from the Choreographic College in Chisinau. In recent years the troupe has traveled far and wide, often touring in the near and far abroad countries - Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Portugal, France, Spain, Britain, etc. - adjusting its repertoire to the wishes of foreign impresarios, focused on specific national tastes.
View on map